25 Queen Square, Bristol
Queen Square, in Bristol, dates from 1699, and followed precedents from fashionable 17th century London. Rules were established that the facades were to be of brick with freestone quoins, crowned by wooden modillioned cornices. Some 80 years ago the original corner building was demolished by traffic engineers to allow for an inner ring road, since removed.
The house was rebuilt in the evidence of photographs, but reversed some earlier changes such as the recessing of the windows and the loss of glazing bars and of the entire cornice. The reconstruction demonstrates some of the many special issues raised in historical conservation, and reunites an historic square without deceiving archaeologists of the future.
- The Georgian Group's Giles Worsley Award 2008