All Souls College, Oxford
Founded from a bequest by Christopher Codrington, a College Fellow who also bequeathed his collection of books, the building by Hawksmoor dates from 1716. It encloses a remarkable classical interior within its gothic exterior which complements the earlier quadrangle. Inside, the plaster ceiling and upper decorations are by Thomas Roberts, Henry Cheere was responsible for the sculptures in the 1730s, while in the 1740s James Gibbs advised on the bookcases and galleries.
Works identified in our earlier feasibility study and carried out by the Practice include: roof and ceiling repair; selected internal redecoration; updating services; a new lighting scheme and IT facilities; a new librarians’ office; rebuilding the bookstack to maximise storage. All works were programmed to keep disruption of the library to a minimum.