Cholderton House, Wiltshire
DIA was appointed in competition in May 2012 for the restoration of this large private house dating from 1690, following a major fire in March 2012. The fire was intense leaving only four walls standing, and extensive propping was required to prevent collapse of the flint and brick walls, weakened by thermal shock. In August 2012, once the external structure was confirmed as being safe, DIA commissioned a full digital survey of the exterior. Clearance of the interior began the following month with archaeologists on standby to record. It was agreed with English Heritage and the Local Council that, as destruction was extensive the interiors would not be accurate facsimiles of the original, but that the exterior was to be authentically rebuilt. Listed Building Consent was obtained for introducing some new elements of structure in steel, since no trace remained of the original structure. Designs for the interiors were reproduced almost entirely from family photographs, since little of the original interior survived. DIA produced full working drawings in spring 2013 working from photos. Tenders were issued and a suitable contractor was appointed in summer 2013. The contract is now well advanced and the building’s structure is currently being reinstated but with a steel frame, not as the original oak.
- Georgian Group Award 2015 (Commendation)