Christ Church, Oxford
The “New Library” at Christ Church is of monumental proportions and forms the fourth side of Peckwater Quad with its bold seven-bay façade divided by giant order Corinthian columns. Built between 1717 and 1770 by William Townesend (who also built the Radcliffe Camera), it was designed by Dr George Clarke of All Souls, and originally incorporated an open loggia at ground floor level, later to become the picture gallery.
We were asked by the College to undertake extensive repairs and refurbishment of the library which included the partial re-facing of the decayed south elevation stonework as well as roof structure repairs and new slate roof coverings. The entire interior was also restored and redecorated, including a full cleaning and restoration of John Fowler’s 1957 stippled colour scheme to the hall and staircase. Thomas Roberts’s spectacular relief plasterwork of 1753 was also restored and new furniture commissioned.
The Dean, Canons and Fellows of Christ Church
- RICS South East Region: Conservation Award