Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge
Designed by C R Cockerell in 1834, this is the only built wing of his major project to house the University Library, Museum and offices. Altered in 1904, 1934 and the 1960s, by 1995 lack of space forced the University to vacate and the site was acquired by Gonville and Caius College. We were commissioned to convert the building to meet the needs of the College, involving extensive repair and refurbishment. In the plan, we endeavoured to restore the clarity of Cockerell’s original spatial concepts in making improvements to access and circulation. Computer and security systems, new heating and electrical services were also introduced.
The Master and Fellows of Gonville and Caius College
- Europa Nostra Diploma