Ince Manor, Cheshire
A Scheduled Monument, the Monastery Cottages and Hall survive from a C13th monastic grange attached to St Werburgh’s Abbey, now Chester Cathedral. The cottages were occupied until the 1960s, but the Hall fell into agricultural use after a fire in 1895. Insall’s proposals to revive the buildings, with simple modern additions to re-form the shells and carefully considered repairs to maintain maximum fabric, were brought to fruition following substantial grant aid from the HLF. The high quality shell repairs allowed a private buyer to be found who subsequently appointed Insall for further works.