Martyrs’ Memorial, Oxford
Conservation of this Victorian memorial to the Protestant bishops burned at the stake in the reign of Queen Mary, followed our earlier report on its condition. Built in 1841 to the design of George Gilbert Scott, the structure was found in need of extensive repairs. Our subsequent work extended to conservation of the statues, reconstruction of the perimeter steps and paving, provision of protection against pigeons and new floodlighting. Stone was carefully cleaned and repaired in a matching magnesium limestone, and joints renewed in lime mortar.
Oxford City Council