Millennium Mills, Silvertown and Silo D, Royal Victoria Dock, London
Millennium Mills and the neighbouring Rank’s Mill are the only survivors of a number of large-scale grain mills that were constructed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries at the Royal Victoria Dock. The complex consists of four industrial buildings dating from c1905, 1933, 1953 and 1954. The buildings are located on the southern edge of the Dock, to the west of the Pontoon Dock. The c1905 Rank’s Premier Mill may be tentatively attributed to Gelder and Kitchen of Hull, whilst the Millennium Mills complex was partially rebuilt and extended by engineers L.G. Mouchel Ltd. The buildings are unlisted and not located in a conservation area but the complex has been identified as ‘locally listed’ by Newham Council.
Donald Insall Associates was were appointed by First Base Ltd to assess the historical and architectural significance of the buildings. Our advice will guide the proposals for planning permission to alter and extend the former flour mills and to convert them to mixed use.
First Base Ltd