Old Vicarage School

The school building dating from around 1726 was originally red brick but was altered in appearance in the early C19 when the exterior was reworked to give a fortified appearance. It was stuccoed, most probably in a colour matching the original masonry but is now cream coloured and presents a striking appearance facing Hill Rise half way up Richmond Hill. A single storey Gothic extension was added in the mid 1800’s, it is presumed for family worship, and the stone flagged entrance hall and fine staircase were remodelled internally with the addition of high quality joinery and plaster enrichment. Fragments of architectural detail remain including coloured glass and original wall stencilling and papers. It is listed Grade 2*. A first phase of an anticipated annual programme of repairs and alteration works was recently completed. The entrance hall was redecorated and rewired and the stone flagged floor repaired and in the school assembly hall, housed in the Gothic extension, the former gymnasium ceiling was replaced with a new plaster ceiling with moulded plaster ribs and cornice and interactive LED panel ceiling lights fitted, an electronic projector and screen, and stage lighting. In the terraced house adjoining the hall, which the school extended into, the science laboratory was refited providing a high quality teaching facility.

Client
Old Vicarage School

Thomas Erskine Thomas Erskine Thomas Erskine Thomas Erskine Thomas Erskine Thomas Erskine