Pudong Development Bank, Shanghai
Built in 1923, designed by Hong Kong architects Palmer & Turner for the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, this internationally important building on the Bund had not been used for banking since the 1950s. Many fine features survived but some, including spectacular mosaics, had been covered up during the building’s occupation as municipal headquarters.
Part of a consultant team appointed after an international competition, the Practice provided on-site advice on the conservation and repair of mosaics, plasterwork, joinery and bronze fittings and also supervised the cleaning and repair of the principal facades. Reopened for banking, trading has recommenced in the impressively restored banking hall.
American Design Associates for Shanghai Pudong Development Bank