Quadrant 3 (former Regent Palace Hotel), London
This project has restored a highly significant group of Art Deco interiors in London. The largest hotel in Europe when it opened in 1915, the Regent Palace was updated in the 1930s by the renowned art-deco designer Oliver Bernard. The Atlantic Bar & Grill, Titanic Restaurant, Dick’s Bar and the cocktail bar ‘Chez Cup’, along with a grand entrance lobby, have now been restored in the mixed-use development that has replaced the Hotel. Based on the original Bernard drawings, this has included the reconstruction of the significant lost interior of the Chez Cup Bar. The Titanic restaurant was completely dismantled, with each part numbered and re-built.
Parts of the glazed terracotta (or faience) façade have been restored, along with the mansard roof with its lead cartouches in the form of lion heads. The new build element has been designed as a modern insert within the retained corners of the original building. The strength of the scheme lies in the well-considered interface between the retained sections and the new insert, which deconstructs the block into elements yet retains the unity and memory of the original building.
Stanhope plc for the Crown Estate
- Civic Trust Awards: Commendation
- RIBA National Award
- BCI Best Practice Award
- Building Awards Project of the Year
- Estates Gazette Sustainability Initiative of the Year
- Murdoch Award for Leadwork
- London Planning Awards – Best Historic Building Management