St John’s Lodge, Regent’s Park
St John’s Lodge is one of eight villas constructed as part of John Nash’s Regent’s Park scheme. Work began on the park in 1811 and was completed in 1827. The Lodge was designed by John Raffield in 1817 for Charles Tulk MP and was the first villa to be built in the park. Throughout the 19th and 20th century numerous additions were made to the building internally and externally transforming it from a modest Regency villa sitting comfortably within its setting to a palatial mansion.Although the house has changed almost beyond recognition since its construction, many of these alterations were by prominent architects. The building underwent at least three extensive alteration schemes in the 19th century with each new owner enlarging or remodelling the villa to their taste. This was followed further changes in the 20th century including modernisation of the building in 1990s and re-creations of lost interiors.
Donald Insall Associates has been advising the client regarding an on-going scheme of upgrading the accommodation. Phase 1 has now been granted planning permission and listed building consent by Westminster City Council.