The Grade II* Staircase House is the most significant building in Stockport’s historic market area. Severely neglected and fire-damaged, this problematic building was almost lost. We helped obtain funding and transformed the building into an asset, a learning resource, and a physical and cultural record of 500 years of urban vernacular construction. The rescue project included a new building on the adjacent site to house modern facilities, which the fragile Staircase House could not accommodate. This extension allowed the original courtyard to be reopened and used as the hub for new visitor circulation.
Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council
- Civic Trust Award for Access
- RICS NW Region: Conservation Award
- RICS NW Region: Building of the Year
- Wood Awards: Highly Commended
- BURA Award for Best Practice in Regeneration for Shawcross Fold
- RTPI Awards: NW Planning Achievement Award for Heritage and Urban Regeneration