The Crown Bar, Belfast
This well-known and much-loved Belfast public house has one of the best interiors in the city and is owned by The National Trust (Northern Ireland). It was built shortly after the opening of Ireland’s second railway line linking Belfast with Lisburn in 1826. The glorious wood-panelled interior with its decorative tile work and private booths (‘snugs’) was installed in 1885 and the publican later commissioned E and J Byrne to design the façade.
Restored by the Trust in 1981, the popularity of the bar in following decades had taken its toll on the historic fabric. We were asked to advise on a suitable conservation strategy; prepare specifications for repairs including historic tiles, glass, metalwork and joinery; oversee trial works and prepare a report with a programme for carrying out the full scheme of repairs.
The National Trust (Northern Ireland)/Mitchells and Butler