The Unison Centre – Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital
The former Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital forms a significant element of the Unison Centre, headquarters of Europe’s largest public sector union. A Grade II listed late-Victorian building, it has been refurbished and adapted for its new use under the direction of Donald Insall Associates. The former Hospital for Women stands prominently at the junction of Euston Road with Churchway and was built in 1889-90 for the treatment of female patients by women doctors and nursing staff. Following Unison’s purchase of the whole hospital site Squire and Partners were commissioned to design a new building. We were instructed to undertake an historic building appraisal of the listed part of the old hospital and were subsequently appointed as architect for its repair and refurbishment.
- British Council for Offices Regional Award
- Civic Trust Commendation