Ventnor Radar Station
Constructed in 1938 on a cliff-top over-looking the English Channel, Ventnor Radar Station played a vital role in the defence of the country during the Battle of Britain. It later became one of only seven World-War-II radar stations that were converted to Centimetric Early Warning use during the Cold War. The site was developed further by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) after it was decommissioned in 1961. From this date, the site was used principally for air traffic control, and a number of structures including the Main Building, radars for civil air traffic and other ancillary structures were constructed in c1962. Insall provided a response to an application to include the station on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural and Historical Interest. We advised that, while the WWII structures were of sufficient quality to merit inclusion whilst the much-altered Cold War remains were not. English Heritage concurred, and the WWII section of the site was added to the statutory list.