We are looking for a Senior Architect to join our Birmingham Office
This post will be integral to the smooth running of jobs from inception to completion, aspiring to the highest standards of contemporary architectural design, conservation, graphic presentation and delivery. The role holder will be expected to work effectively with minimum supervision to manage and develop client relationships, mentor/assist team members and take full accountability for the financial performance of their jobs, as well as hands-on job running. They will be expected to lead by example and act as a source of advice and guidance to other fee-earning members of the team. The role holder must be able to address the challenges of working within a growing office environment, assisting with the development of the studio.
Duties and responsibilities include but shall not be limited to:
- The desire to lead project of all scales, from the nationally significant, to local small scale maintenance of historic buildings.
- Managing the provision of accurate and fit-for-purpose drawings throughout the job, through the production of AutoCAD drawings or other widely-recognised methods, including Photoshop and InDesign, both self-generated and through the contributions from the team and other specialists as required.
- Possess high standards for the production of graphic information, and the ability to coordinate others to produce reports, visualizations and presentation of exemplary quality. Confidence in written communication to produce professional and scholarly reports.
- Assist the Associate with the management of assigned jobs, helping the team to make the best use of its collective talents within appropriate parameters. Listening and asking questions, appreciating and considering differences in thought and perspective, and ultimately helping to achieve consensus in order to achieve goals. Ensure that all jobs run smoothly and profitably throughout the lifecycle, maintaining a focus on present activity and future requirements, identifying risks or possible slippage, and recommending remedial action where necessary.
- Assist the Associate with facilitating and maintaining communication between members of the team, clients, client representatives and contractors on site, engaging and influencing both internally and externally in order to work collaboratively to meet our clients’ expectations both in terms of time, finished product and budget. Escalating problems/issues as necessary and following agreed courses of action to ensure successful delivery of all work.
- Proactively solving problems relating to jobs whilst exercising sound judgement and care, devising solutions in situations where they may not seem immediately apparent. Escalating and seeking the advice of others where required.
- Tailoring approach to suit individual clients, dealing effectively with challenges and focusing on long term relationships to aid the ongoing success of the Practice. Proactively seeking feedback from clients to aid own continuous development and improvement.
- Ensuring all job related communications are undertaken to the required standard, including attending meetings, drafting letters, memoranda, reports etc. that are fit-for-purpose and in accordance with the Practice’s documented systems.
- Undertake the role in compliance at all times with the Practice’s published Quality Assurance and Environmental Management Systems, and Human Resources, Equal Opportunities and Data Protection policies, and to maintain consistently high levels of discretion and care when dealing with information which may be personally and/or commercially sensitive.
- Pro-actively drive own CPD activity, and assist with the mentoring and developing of others, providing advice, support, and guidance wherever possible, including on environmental matters as they relate to the Practice’s work.
- Articulate the philosophy and values of DIA, taking opportunities to highlight our point of difference, building and developing appropriate networks to maintain and strengthen our position in the marketplace.
- Act as an ambassador the Practice at all times, in all internal and external communications, and leading by example.
- Any other reasonable duties that may arise from the nature and character of the post, as requested by a Director, Practice Director, Associate Director or Associate.
Please note that job descriptions are not exhaustive, and the duties and responsibilities of the post may be amended from time to time, in consultation with the post holder.