Winterton House was built in 1871 and is Grade II listed. Donald Insall Associates converted this former care home into five retirement apartments, sensitively integrating new facilities into the existing building.
A sustainable approach to construction was embodied in the project from the outset. Existing building fabric was retained and reused where possible to reduce site wastage. Where new materials were required, natural materials were specified, such as plain clay bricks and softwood. The use of these materials allows for easy maintenance repairs or reclamation in the future.
The existing timber and metal casement windows have been sensitively restored, and secondary glazing discreetly added to improve the thermal performance of the building. Breathable thermal insulation was inserted into the roof space, to ensure the building achieves statutory regulations relating to heat loss.
The extensive grounds that surround the property have been overhauled, with new diverse planting zones and a pond laid out. Formerly untended scrubland, the gardens are now a haven for wildlife, and serve as a valuable amenity for residents to appreciate nature.